In partnership with SA’s top medical aesthetic companies
Not that long ago, the only option to change the shape of your nose meant a trip to the plastic surgeon, but that was before the non-surgical nose job.
Do you have a flattened nasal bridge, a hump on your nose, a sports injury that’s left it lumpy, or a nasal tip that dips at end due to ageing? Did you know that you can get a smoother and/or lifted nose profile without going under the surgeon’s knife? It can even be used to revise the appearance of noses that have had surgery, depending on the problem.
The 3D Rhinoplasty, aka non-surgical nose job, is a sought-after combination treatment that involves injecting hyaluronic acid (HA – the filler used to plump up your lips, cheeks and deep lines) together with PDO thread (made from the same material used in non-surgical facelifts) called the Broom, which has specifically been developed for nasal bridge rejuvenation.
The first step
Make an appointment with one of our Skin Renewal doctors for an assessment to see if you are suited for this procedure, and the doctor will discuss which treatments will be used to address your particular needs.
How does it work?
During this procedure, key areas on and around the nose are treated with filler to define, heighten and shape the nasal bridge. PDO threads are inserted down the nose to create a straighter profile and, for downturned tips, Botulinum toxin is injected at the bottom of the nose to relax the area, which lifts the nose slightly, so the nose is straighter.
Importantly, no cartilage is removed, so there is no negative impact on breathing (as can happen with nasal surgery).
The whole procedure takes about 30 minutes, so it’s a “lunch-time quick fix”, and it’s virtually pain-free, needing only a little local anaesthetic. There’s minimal recovery time, with hardly any pain, bleeding or swelling afterwards. Slight bruising may be covered with make-up and it gives the nose’s appearance an immediate, natural-looking enhancement and improvement.
What you need to know
- This treatment, unlike surgical rhinoplasty, is not permanent, but rather longlasting.
- For non-surgical nose jobs, Skin Renewal uses Princess PDO Threads, which are safely absorbed into the body over time, so the results of this treatment last up to 2-3 years.
- The preferred fillers used are Galderma’s NASHA™ (Non Animal Stabalised Hyluronic Acid and OBT (Optimal balanced technology) dermal filler gels , which resemble your body’s own HA, which is specifically designed to restore volume as well as enhance shape and contour.
- Each product in the Juvéderm® collection of fillers are made from a modified form of HA.
- These fillers can last for up to 18 months, depending on the individual and type of filler used, which gives you the added advantage of allowing you to make adjustments to give you the look you want. But most importantly, this treatment allows you to continually retain a natural look.
- The only two legally registered Botulinum toxin brands in SA are Dysport, manufactured by Lithapharma, and the ubiquitous Botox®, manufactured by Allergan. Both are used at Skin Renewal.
CAUTION: As with all injectables, the result is only as good as the skill, training and experience of the injector, and this is a procedure you don’t want to entrust to an online bargain offer. Find reputable, experienced doctors who have been accredited to do non-surgical rhinoplasties, and make sure they inform you of any potential risks.
To find out more about treatments that are an alternative to surgery, visit Skin Renewal on www.skinrenewal.co.za or contact 0861 SKIN SA (754 672).
* Next week we look at non-surgical facelifts and how they work.